I don't think I posted this story, probably out of embarrassment, but I think it will serve as a good reminder. On Friday morning, Reese and I decided to venture to Hobby Lobby to get some stuff to make a collage for the wall in our guestroom/playroom. I have an idea in my head...I'll post pictures if it turns out like I think.
Anyways, we were on our way to Hobby Lobby and I started having flashbacks of a trip to Hobby Lobby several months ago. Shane's mom had just moved to town and we decided that I would make some simple curtains for her new apartment windows. It shouldn't have been a big deal, but we spent a lot of time in the fabric department looking for coordinating fabrics and of course, good deals. Reese occupied himself at first taking all of the thread off the shelf, among other fun things, but finally as we were getting ready to have our 28 yards of upholstery fabric cut, he threw a huge, GIGANTIC FIT! You know the kind...kicking, screaming...HORRIBLE! Of course I'm getting on to him, and everyone in the store is looking to see who the screaming kid is, and just when I thought it couldn't get worse...there was an older lady also waiting to get her fabric cut. She stared at us for several minutes, then under her breath, but definitely loud enough for the whole fabric department to hear says, "My...someone is definitely spoiled, isn't he?" I could not believe it! I did keep my mouth shut, with my jaw clenched, but she was lucky it wasn't a PMS week. How dare she? Even in this fit...did she not know how much we work with him? It is constant parenting with my "angel!" Either she never had children or it's been about 50 years since hers were 3 in the middle of a fabric store.
Needless to say, we had not been back to Hobby Lobby since. We walked in and I must say...brag is a better word...my son was an absolute shopping delight. We looked at the unfinished wood, frames, scrapbook stuff, kids' craft stuff. We were probably in that store for over an hour and I did not have to get onto him ONE single time. He held my hand, he was polite. I really was secretly wishing I had a video tape I could send to that lady so she could see how nice he was.
After we left the store, we were driving home and I actually had tears in my eyes. I know...I'm hopeless...Shane would've laughed. But I can say this...all the hard work in parenting will one day pay off. I had just a glimpse of the nice young man my Reese is growing into! Definitely worth all the fits!
Oh by the way...we are working on a really neat collage for the wall. Reese and I painted for most of the afternoon. I'll post pictures when they are complete. He also picked a "treasure chest" to paint. I'll take some pictures of that too! It was a good day!
Park City Utah
4 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment