Monday, February 2, 2009

Four and a HALF

Reese has been upset lately because everyone in his preschool class has turned 5 or will very shortly. So on Feb. 1st, I told him that the next day would be a very special day, because it was his Half Birthday. I explained to him that instead of being just plain ol' 4, he would be 4 and a half. He seemed very excited, and went to bed anticipating the next day.
The next morning, I woke him up ready to go do a little work at the school, and he was not his usual happy morning self. Here's how our conversation went...
Mom: Hey bud...what's wrong with you this morning?
Reese: I can't go with you to school work day today! (picture his frowning face)
Mom: How come? You love to play with all the kids?!
Reese: Well, it's my half-birthday, and I need to stay home, because we have no party planned!
The look on his face was one of utter disgust. I had failed as a mother to plan his 4 and a half birthday party, so it was up to him to do it.
Finally I convinced him that we would have a special family dinner that night, so off to school we went. Here he is with his special request of peanut butter and jelly sandwich and BBQ chips, along with 4 1/2 candles. He was thrilled! (I don't think we'll mention half birthdays next year!)

0 comments: